Small animal clinic in the Midwest. Veterinary services include: diagnostic and therapeutic services, acupuncture (unique in this market area), surgical services, anesthesia, radiology services, dentistry, permanent identification, pharmacy, individualized flea control programs and dietary counseling.
- Heavy competition within the business sector with at least a dozen other vets in the area.
- Current marketing included building signage, Web site, print and online directory listings, tri-fold brochure, thank you and reminder cards, and referral incentives.
Prospect Direct Mail - Launch a multi-frequency prospect direct mail program targeted to area households with cats and dogs.
- Initial introductory mailer
- Two oversized postcard mailers to follow-up
- Email addresses solicited from responders for future communications through Web registration (general or personalized URL)
Print advertising - Implement a print advertising campaign to reach a broader metro area customer base.
Public Relations - Explicit publicity opportunities in all print and electronic media with press releases, such as staff addition announcements/recognitions, milestone announcements and special events.
- Letter with referral cards to 1,000 current customers, explaining referral incentive program and ask for participation; distributed spring and fall.
- Broad distribution of its basic information pamphlet to pet stores, animal shelters, humane societies, large animal vet practices, pet groomers, breeders and other local merchants (including Welcome Wagon type organization) either in personal visits or via mail with an appropriate cover letter that indicates the purpose: please refer customers to our hospital.
SEO (search engine optimization) techniques to increase Web search effectiveness.
Newsletter - Quarterly publication to current and dormant customer files, focusing on new services, pet care tips, pet nutrition, staffing updates, patient stories, healthcare reminders, etc. Includes discounts for specialized services.
Telemarketing - Cleanse dormant account list and telemarket to determine reasons for defection to other providers. If appropriate and requested, send mailing with an incentive to re-introduce services. Mailing includes a personalized letter, pamphlet and incentive coupon.
Promotional Products - Use an inexpensive promotional product as a customer giveaway, including logo and contact information. Customers asked if they have a friend or neighbor who would like the gift and be encouraged to provide their name and address so an introductory mailing can be sent.
Metrics used to evaluate effectiveness, improve performance and measure ROI include:
- First-time patient inquiries to be measured by phone calls and visits asking for information, rates, etc. Tracked internally with a brief questionnaire to capture data on how the inquirer heard about company and services.
- A pre/post research questionnaire measuring awareness, interest, purchase consideration and image attributes
- Coupon redemption
- Web traffic increases monitored on a monthly basis
- Loyalty rates and increases in current customer services tracked internally. Special offer coupons contained in the newsletter and/or within the dormant accounts mailings also tracked.